7 Ways to Unwind After Work
After a long day at the office, nothing seems better than coming home and relaxing. Whether you want to curl up in bed and binge watch your favorite Netflix show or you can’t seem to switch out of work mode, these tips will help you to effectively unwind after your stressful work day. Carving out time to practice self-care at the end of a busy day can drastically improve your productivity, and make you a happier and healthier employee!
- Go for a walk- technology free! Exercising, especially without the distractions of your phone, has an array of health benefits. Not only does it give you an opportunity to physically disconnect from the day, but it also improves your blood circulation, helps with anxiety, and has been proven to positively impact your productivity and creativity. Not to mention, it can also give you a better night’s sleep!
- Journal, then Meditate. Writing down your daily emotions, goals, struggles & successes of the day, and topics that are heavy on your mind gives you a physical outlet to vent and clarify your thoughts. Journaling can lower your anxiety, increase your peace of mind, and help foster your personal growth. Pairing this activity with a meditation practice can further allow you to let go of the stresses of the day, and can give you a helpful reset!
- Listen to good music or a podcast. In your efforts to unwind from your tiring day in the office, listening to upbeat music or your favorite playlist can give you an instant mood boost! It can act as a distraction, and can reduce stress. Similarly, listening to a podcast can allow you to transition from your workday back into your personal life.
- Turn off email alerts. This is one of the biggest pieces of advice for unwinding after a long day. In order to disconnect from the busy work day, it is important that you set boundaries for yourself. Turning off your email notifications after leaving the office is essential for creating a stress-free home life.
- Make a dessert. Coming home and making some brownies is always a fun way to unwind from the work day. Making something with your own two hands not only gives you a hands-on way to stop stressing about your to-do list, but you can also enjoy your creation afterwards!
- Give yourself time to do something you enjoy. Finding something outside of work that you are passionate about is important for creating a fulfilling life post-work, and can give you something in your personal life to look forward to and take pride in. Think back to hobbies you enjoyed as a child, such as playing an instrument, participating in a sport, painting, or dancing, and try these activities out when your work day is over!
- Pamper yourself! Light a candle, run a warm bath, put a face mask on, and let go of your stress! You deserve a break from work, and this is one of the best ways to disconnect, and give you some time to practice self-care.
While these 7 tips for unwinding after work are effective and promote relaxation, finding ways that help you personally disconnect from the day is important. Whether that is a mixture of these tips, or different ways you have found to relax, find your perfect combination for guaranteed relaxation whenever you need it. The most important relationship you have is with yourself, so be sure to practice self-care!