Top 5 Tips to Liven Up Your Workspace!
From the very beginning of 2020, just about everything has been unpredictable. From education to the workforce, all the way through food service and entertainment, every single industry has been impacted in one way or another by COVID-19. It has caused most daily routines to be confined to one’s home, or outdoors – 6 feet apart from one another. To some this may sound like a dream, but for others, it is their worst nightmare. Those who enjoy being at home may say that they can “be more productive,” while others believe that being at their workplace makes them “operate more efficiently.” Whatever it may be, there are simple ways to improve your at-home workspace to make it best fit your style!
- Create a workspace separate from where you relax. If you are working in areas where you typically relax during your time at home, you may want to find a different area to do your work. Working at a desk in another room, or even the kitchen table, is a great place to start.
- Brighten it up! Find a way to illuminate your workspace by opening up the windows or lighting a candle. Not only will the extra light keep you more alert throughout your day, but you may catch a nice summer breeze or whiff of your favorite scent during your workday. Put up some pictures of family and friends on your desk space, or hang posters on the wall above your computer. If your work area looks appealing to you, you’ll be more motivated to sit down and get the work you’ve been avoiding done!
- Keep your favorite distractions away. If you know you’ll be watching Netflx on your TV while trying to get work done on your laptop, maybe change the channel to something that requires less focus. There are a variety of “backdrop” channels offered through most television providers; you can have the sounds and images of the beach, nature, or even a fireplace streaming in the background. If you will be tempted to go on your cellphone while working from home, try keeping it in a different room and set an alarm every so often to give yourself a 10-min. break. This will allow you to focus on getting your work done while also staying connected to the rest of your world.
- Speaking of breaks, take them! Go for a walk around your neighborhood on your lunch break, or play with a pet for a few minutes. Whatever you can do around the house that relaxes you, take advantage of it while you have it right next to you! Listening to music or meditating are some other ways to break the monotony without moving around too much.
- Get dressed up! If you have been working in your pajamas every day of the week, change it up and dress fancy for one day (or an hour) to work! If you’re tired of both pajamas and work clothes, you can plan one or two days in your work week to dress up. You can wear a certain color or have a theme for certain days (such as sports or your favorite decade.) If it makes you look forward to your workday, then it is worth the effort!
All in all, if it makes you feel better about waking up to “telecommute” everyday, then it is worth your time and effort. Feeling good will not only improve your worth ethic and effort, but it will also boost your overall mood on a weekly basis. Who wouldn’t want their job to be a source of inspiration and happiness for your everyday life?